Castle Menzies - Weem, Perthshire

Places

Weem

Weem
  • Weem

    Uaimh - "Cave", Baile a'Chlachlain - "The village with the churchyard". A village.

  • Castle Menzies

    Castle/estate with farms. Seat of the chiefs of Clan Menzies following the distruction of Comrie Castle in 1487.

  • Boltachan

    "Sheep or cattle pens". Farms.

The Mains of Comrie
  • Mains of Comrie

    5 crofts with 4 farms.

    1769 Tenants: Donald Sinclair and John Anderson.

  • Comrie

    "A running together, confluence or curved plain". 2 farms and 1 croft.

    1769 Tenants: Duncan McKercher, Donald McKercher and John Walker.

  • Achloa

    "Field of the beacon". 2 farms.

    1769 Tenants: Donald Scott, Gilbert McNaughton and Alexander Robertson.

  • Laggan

    "Hollow". A farm just west of Achloa.